To enquire about this item please enter your details below and we will contact you shortly.

(Your details will not be shared with any third parties)

Tick the box below if you would like to receive the Armoury of St James's Bulletin - a quarterly e-newsletter that showcases an exclusive selection of the latest military antiques offered at our premises in Piccadilly Arcade.

This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Enter the characters shown in the image.
Battle of Camperdown - ‘Admiral De Winter Resigning His Sword To Admiral Duncan,' 1797
Hover over image to zoom, click to expand.

Battle of Camperdown - ‘Admiral De Winter Resigning His Sword To Admiral Duncan,' 1797

Measurements: Overall: 70cm (27.5in) x 83cm (32.5in)



Mezzotint after Henry Singleton. Made and published by James Daniell (c.1771-c.1814) of Great Charlotte Street, Blackfriars Road, London 1797. 5th plate of the Naval History of the Present War. Image size: 50cm (19.75in) x 64.5cm (24.5in). Contained in original glazed ebonised oak frame.

The surrender of the Dutch fleet to the British followed their defeat at the battle of Camperdown in the North Sea, on October 11th, 1797. An interpretation of the surrender of the Dutch fleet following the Battle of Camperdown, 11 October 1797. This battle was fought in the wake of the Battle of St Vincent, 14 February 1797, and the Channel mutinies of May 1797. The mutinies led to a reduction in available British warships that was potentially disastrous. In accordance with the French plan to invade Ireland, the Dutch fleet under Vice-Admiral de Winter left the Texel to join up with the Brest fleet. Throughout 1797, Admiral Duncan had been watching the Dutch fleet in Den Helder. Early in October, Duncan took the fleet to Yarmouth to restore and refit. The Dutch immediately seized their opportunity to put to sea. The cutter Black Joke was dispatched from the small lookout force to warn the Admiral. Duncan also put to sea immediately and early on the morning of 11 October the two fleets were in sight. The action began at 12.30 pm 18 miles of the coast and Duncan inspired his captains by led his flagship, the Venerable (74-guns), into battle and on to victory.