Measurements: 10cm (4in) x 7.5cm (3in)
Brass label inscribed ‘Royal / V R / Laundry’, verso ‘Osborne / V R / House’.
The Royal Laundry, designed by Prince Albert, was built in Kew Foot Road, Richmond in 1846. A special miniature train brought Queen Victoria's laundry into Richmond Station from London, Windsor and other royal households except Balmoral. It is estimated that one and half tonnes of laundry was processed daily. The laundry was closed in the 1920s when the work was farmed out to more conveniently located laundry firms.