Measurements: 11cm (11.25in) x 22cm (8.75in) x 11.5cm (4.5in)
Silver and ebonised wood. Box with hinged lid applied with a model of a fox courant, and sides further mounted with the regimental badges of the 15th King’s Hussars and 19th Royal Hussars (Queen Alexandra’s Own). The fronted applied with a silver plaque inscribed: ‘Presented to / COLONEL H.F. BRACE, D.S.O., M.C., / BY SERVING OFFICERS OF / XV/XIX THE KING’S ROYAL HUSSARS / who served with him / 9th March 1937’. Hallmarked 1937.
Colonel H.F. Brace, D.S.O., M.C., of Coton Hall, Sudbury, Derbyshire, was the son of F.A. Brace, J.P., of Doveridge Hall, and was commissioned into the 15th Hussars in 1908. During the First World War, an article in ‘Country Life’ on the fox hunting men at front, reports him as an ardent follower of the Earl of Harrington’s hounds notes the first of his mentions in despatches by Sir John French. Colonel Brace twice wounded during the Great War. On one of these occasions he was in command of a dismounted company of the 15th Hussars at Bourlon Wood on 24 November 1917. Appointed to the command of the 15th/19th Hussars in 1930, he became Colonel of the Regiment in 1934. He married Beatrice, daughter of Sir W.H. Fielden, Bart., Their only son, a troop commander in the 15th/19th Hussars, was killed in action in Belgium in May 1940.