Tel: +44 (0)20 7493 5082 | Fax: +44 (0))20 7499 4422 | Email: welcome@armoury.co.uk

A William IV Cavalry Officer’s Pouch Flap Box, 1835

Silver officer’s pouch flap applied with gilt crowned WR cypher of William IV (reigned 1830-37), converted for use by The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co. Ltd. circa 1935. The base hallmarked London 1935. Maker’s mark of the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co. Ltd, 112 Regent Street, London. The hinged lid with gilt interior, the base cedar lined.

Originally worn by cavalrymen as containers for carbine rifle ammunition, shoulder belt pouches assumed purely decorative usage in the mid 19th century. Later in the century the tradition of recycling the silver elements of an officer’s uniform for domestic use was developed with a number of prestigious silversmithing firms carrying out the bespoke work to order.
 

© The Armoury of St James's 17 Piccadilly Arcade London SW1Y 6NH