Measurements: Overall: 20cm (8ins) x 15cm (6ins)
Black and white quarter length portrait photograph of Princess Mary wearing General's uniform. Signed in ink in the mount ‘Mary’ and dated ‘1943’. In easel backed moulded and gilt tooled red leather frame by Jarrolds of Sloane Street, Knightsbridge.
Mary, Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood (1897-1965) was the third child and only daughter of George V and Queen Mary. During the First World War she visited military hospitals and welfare organizations with her mother. One of these projects was the well known Princess Mary’s Christmas Gift Fund, through which £100,000 worth of gifts was sent to all British soldiers and sailors for Christmas 1914. She eventually became a nurse. Mary married Viscount Lascelles (later the 6th Earl of Harewood) in 1922. They had two sons, the elder of whom was taken prisoner of war and held as hostage at Colditz Castle.
She became honorary president of the British Girl Guide Association in 1920, a position she held until her death. On 1 January 1932, George V declared that his only daughter should bear the title Princess Royal, succeeding her aunt Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife. The Princess Royal was particularly close to her eldest brother, the Prince of Wales, who subsequently became Edward VIII. At the outbreak of the Second World War, the Princess Royal became chief controller and later controller commandant of the Auxiliary Territorial Service and travelled Britain visiting its units, as well as wartime canteens and other welfare organisations.