Measurements: Overall height: 33cm (13in)
Autographed signed by the Queen and Prince Philip in the lower mount and dated 1969. Photographer’s stamp of Anthony Buckley verso. Contained in original easel backed, navy blue leather presentation frame by Royal Warrant holder H.H. Plante, of Bury Street, St. James’s, London. Glazed.
Anthony Buckley (1912-1993) opened his first portrait studio in 1937 and he quickly gained a reputation for his portraits of leading actresses of the day. After serving in World War II, he worked from a studio on St Alban's Street and then in the 1950s on New Bond Street, when he purchased the premises and business of Janet Jevons. In the early 1950s he worked in Dorothy Wilding’s London studio. His reputation as a leading stage portraitist grew rapidly. In the 1960s he moved to Grosvenor Street, an address that better reflected his enhanced status as a royal photographer. His prints spanning the years 1937-75 were donated to the National Portrait Gallery in 1995.