Measurements: Length: 16.5cm (6.5in)
Unmarked Indian silver on ebonised wood base.
The Assam Valley Light Horse was raised in 1882 by members of the tea planting community. Comprising plantation owners, managers, tea merchants and shippers, it was part of the Auxiliary Force in India, and provided officers and men for the British and Indian armies in both World Wars. In peacetime its principal role with other volunteer forces across India was to protect the railways and other installations, especially in view of the Mutiny 1857. The A.V.L.H. was disbanded on the granting of Indian Independence in 1947, whence remaining ‘Mess’ funds were used to pay for the manufacture these silver rhino trophies for serving members of the regiment.