Tel: +44 (0)20 7493 5082 | Fax: +44 (0))20 7499 4422 | Email: welcome@armoury.co.uk

Victorian Army Medical Staff Menu Holder, 1893

Hallmarked silver, London 1893 Mappin and Webb. Eight-pointed star centred on the Garter (Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense) encircling the ‘VR’ cypher of Queen Victoria, the whole surrounded by a laurel wreath, over the title scroll, and surmounted by the Imperial State Crown. Mounted on its original Indian rosewood stepped base.

The Army Medical Staff may refer to the officers of the Medical Staff as distinct from the other ranks of the Medical Staff Corps.  In the wake of the medical failings that attended the British army in the Crimea, the Medical Staff Corps was reorganised in 1857 into the Army Hospital Corps, although it reverted back to its former name in 1884. The Medical Staff Corps and the Medical Staff were reorganised into the Royal Army Medical Corps by Royal Warrant on 23 June 1898. Three months later R.A.M.C. personnel were serving in the Sudan and only one year after its formation the R.A.M.C. was fully committed in the Anglo-Boer War (1899-902).
 

© The Armoury of St James's 17 Piccadilly Arcade London SW1Y 6NH