Measurements: Height: 4cm (1.5in)
Silver. Each modelled with the Prince of Wales feathers over the regimental motto scroll, set upon on rectangular base. Hallmarks for Ceylon and maker's mark KAA. 48 grams total weight.
The Ceylon Mounted Rifles began life in 1892 as a mounted company of the Ceylon Light Infantry of which the Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) was Colonel-in-Chief. It was soon retitled the Ceylon Mounted Infantry and sent a company strength detachment to South Africa for service in the Boer War. Known as the Ceylon Mounted Rifles from 1906, its personnel was made of tea planters, engineers and other ex-pats who formed part of the auxiliary forces of Ceylon. Based in Kandy, the C.M.R. regularly supplied Mounted Escorts for visiting royalty. It was mobilized for war in 1914 whence a large number of officers and men were commissioned into other units. A small detachment of C.M.R. provided the bodyguard to General Birdwood, the A.N.Z.A.C. commander at Gallipoli. In the mid 1920s the regiment underwent something of a rennaissance with Captain Sir Bekerly Pigott, Bart., 17th/21st Lancers, as Adjutant. The C.M.R. Polo Club was formed in 1928 and for a time there was a waiting list to join despite the qualification that any member joining had to possess his own or be able to borrow a suitable horse. In 1934, the regiment was reorganized into one mounted and one mechanized squadron, until disbandment in 1938.