Measurements: Each overall: 67cm (26.25in) x 77.5cm (30.5in)
Stipple and etching. A presentation pair of engravings - ‘The Last Effort and Fall of Tippoo Sultan’ & ‘The Surrender of Two Sons of Tippoo Sultan’. Each bearing a description of the scene in English and French and a dedication to the Directors of the East India Company. Engraved by Niccolo Schiavonetti after the paintings Henry Singleton. Published in 1802 by Anthony Cardon and Luigi Schiavonetti. Contained in period glazed ebonised frame with gilt wood slip, and each bearing silver presentation plaques, inscribed 'Presented to The Officers 2nd Royal Dublin Fusiliers by Captain G.S. Higginson 1909’.
2nd Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers were the lineal descendants of the 1st Madras European Regiment who were raised by the East India Company in 1742 and took part in the Siege of Nundydroog in October 1791 and the Siege of Seringapatam in February 1792 during the Third Anglo-Mysore War.
Lieutenant-Colonel G.S. Higginson (b.1874) was born in County Kildare, and was commissioned into the 2nd Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers in the mid 1890s. He played polo for his regiment and served in Natal during the South African War (1899-1902). In 1914 he crossed to France with 2RDF as part of the British Expeditionary Force and took part in the early fighting on the Western Front. He was posted missing at Le Cateau during the Retreat from Mons. Word eventually reached his sister, Louisa, that he was a prisoner-of-war at Magdeburg, Germany where he later complained through the Red Cross of ill-treatment and became a marked man in the eyes of his captors. The British verdict passed on a German prisoner-of-war Sergeant Fritz Petzel, who had been captured in possession of banned hollow-point bullets, served as grounds for a counter-reprisal against two British officers. Higginson was accordingly chosen by the Germans for special punishment at Spandau prison, Berlin. On his release in 1918, Major Higginson was promoted Lieutenant-Colonel commanding 2RDF. At the disbandment of the Irish regiments in 1922, Higginson handed the battalion’s Regimental Colour to King George V for safe keeping.