Measurements: 14cm (5.5in) x 24cm (9.5in)
Hand painted on board. 1st Battalion device flanked by Battle Honours from Louisburg 1758 to Baghdad 1917. The reverse bearing the maker’s name of 'Henry Potter & Co., of 36-8 West Street, Charing X Rd. London.’
The firm of Henry Potter of Charing Cross was established as an independent concern in 1872. Hitherto Henry’s father, also Henry, had run a drum making business at 30 Charing Cross since 1856. Prior to that, Henry senior ran his business from 2 Bridge Street, Westminster, having inherited an interest in drums from his father Samuel, formerly a drum-major in the Coldstream Guards who left the Army in 1817. Other members of the extended Potter family were also engaged in the drum and flute making business for many generations. A notable contemporary being Henry senior’s brother George of Aldershot whose firm continued the craft in the traditional manner until the introduction of rod tensioned and transfer decorated drums in 1960.