18ct yellow gold (stamped 750) Maltese cross of eight points each terminating in a sphere, the arms set with rubies radiating from a figure of St Gregory in gold on blue enamel, encircled ’S. Gregory Magnus’. Chain links to gold oval backs. Maker’s mark of Royal Warrant holders Spink & Son, London. Cased.
The Order of St Gregory was established in 1831 by Pope Gregory XVI (1831-46). The order is one of the five Orders of Knighthood of the Holy See, and is awarded is for conspicuous lay service to the Church on the recommendation of a diocesan bishop with the support of the papal nuncio.