Measurements: Diameter: 14cm (5.5in)
Leather applied with a gilt brass band engraved ‘Honble. C. Harbord / Scots Guards / 46 Upper Grosvenor Street’ in period script, with loop for leash.
46 Upper Grosvenor Street, Westminster was the Mayfair town house of Lord and Lady Suffield between 1875 and 1888, and that of their son the Hon. Charles Harbord, (later 6th Baron Suffield, C.B., M.V.O. (1855-1924), who after schooling at Eton entered the Scots Fusilier Guards as an Ensign on 30 April 1873. Harbord was rose to become second-in-command of the 2nd Scots Guards in December 1899 and was in the thick of the action at Slaap Kranz on 27 July 1900. He took command of the 1st Scots Guards in July 1901 and brought them home at the war’s end. He retired from the army in 1904, having served as a Groom-in-Waiting to Queen Victoria from 1895 to 1901. In 1914 Suffield succeeded his father in the barony and took his seat on the Conservative benches in the House of Lords. The following year he was appointed Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard (Deputy Chief Whip in the House of Lords) in the coalition government of H. H. Asquith, a post he held until 1918, the last two years under the premiership of David Lloyd George.