Measurements: Diameter: 23mm
Gilt brass. Set of six naval tunic buttons as worn on the uniform of Captains, Commanders, Lieutenants, Midshipmen and Volunteers during the reign of George IV. Obverse: on a horizontally hatched ground, a fouled anchor supported by the crown, the whole within an outer rope twist and inner plain borders. The reverse bearing maker’s name, ‘Hammond, Turner & Sons’ of Snowshill, Birmingham.
An example in the National Maritime Museum, Geenwich suggests these buttons were worn between 1st January 1825 and 18th December 1827. This accords with the maker’s details which before 1822 included the name Dickinson for a partner in the firm who died in 1822.