Tel: +44 (0)20 7493 5082 | Fax: +44 (0))20 7499 4422 | Email:

A Peninsula & Waterloo Officer’s Telescopic Campaign Candlestick, 1815

A George III Old Sheffield Plate telelescopic candlestick of adjustable height (max: 20.5cm (8in)). Plain stem with weighted circular base embellished with gadroon border and dual family crests of a sarcen’s head and stag trippant beneath the Welsh motto ‘Dial Gwaed Cymru’ (To avenge one’s blood) possibly for Lieutenant Edward Bell Lloyd, 16th Light Dragoons.

Edward Bell Lloyd (1764-1864) was the son of Bell Lloyd of Crogan, Merionethshire, and Anne, daughter of George Anson, M.P. for Lichfield. He was commissioned Cornet in the 16th Light Dragoons in May 1811. Promoted Lieutenant in 1812, he arrived in the Peninsula in June and was appointed extra aide-de-camp to his uncle Major-General George Anson. Anson had distinguished himself in Portugal as the commanding officer of the 16th L.D. and now commanded a light cavalry brigade in the forefront of Wellington’s army, constantly charging, as the French as they were driven back to the Pyrenees. Lloyd duly saw action at the combat of Castrejon on 18 July, and at the battle of Salamanca four days later. He was also present at the major battle of Vittoria fought in June 1813. He returned to regimental duty in July 1813 and was present at the battle of Bayonne on 14 April 1814, when news reached the opposing forces of Napoleon’s abdication. 

The 16th Light Dragoons were at Canterbury Cavalry Barracks in May 1815 when ordered to proceed to the Netherlands to meet the renewed threat from Napoleon. Brigaded with the 11th and 12th Light Dragoons, Lloyd Bell’s regiment engaged French cavalry at Quatre Bras on the evening of 16 June and during the British withdrawal on 17th before bivouacking in the open whilst the famous thunder storm raged overnight. At Waterloo on the morning of the 18th, the 16th L.D. were positioned on the left of the British line. Following the dramatic charge of the Heavy Brigade, the Regiment charged French lancers who were counter-attacking. Towards evening, the Regiment was moved to the right of the British line where, amongst a number of charges, they charged a square of the Imperial Guard which they broke, taking many prisoners. Overall, the Brigade took some 3,000 prisoners.

© The Armoury of St James's 17 Piccadilly Arcade London SW1Y 6NH