North Wold Lincoln Yeomanry Wine Glass, 1795
Adding product to your cart
Height: 15cm (6in)
Glass. Plain circular foot and stem, the bowl etched with the cypher and crown borne on the buttons of North Wold Lincoln Yeomanry.
In 1793 prime minister William Pitt the Younger ordered English Counties to form a force of Volunteer Yeoman Cavalry that could be called on by the King to defend the country against invasion or by the Lord Lieutenant to subdue any civil disorder. In September 1794 the Duke of Ancaster as Lord Lieutenant of Lincolnshire duly accepted the offer of Samuel Thorold (a scion of the Thorold Baronets of Harmston, Lincs) to raise a ‘Corps of Yeoman’. Loyal volunteers with an inclination to defend lives and properties were invited to enlist at Thorold’s seat Harmston Hall. Such was the origin of one troop of the North Wold Lincoln Yeomanry, others were raised in similar fashion in different parts of the county, no doubt accompanied by the drinking of patriotic toasts. The Barton Troop of the N.W.L.Y. was raised at Wooton Dale in 1798. It comprised three officers and forty-four other ranks. However it missed a trick in 1808 when three French Prisoners of War escaped and, overpowering the crew of a local boat, the Margaret Anne of Barton, sailed to Calais.