4th/5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion The Royal Sussex Regiment Presentation Side Drum, 1960
4th/5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion The Royal Sussex Regiment Presentation Side Drum, 1960
4th/5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion The Royal Sussex Regiment Presentation Side Drum, 1960
4th/5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion The Royal Sussex Regiment Presentation Side Drum, 1960
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, 4th/5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion The Royal Sussex Regiment Presentation Side Drum, 1960
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, 4th/5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion The Royal Sussex Regiment Presentation Side Drum, 1960
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, 4th/5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion The Royal Sussex Regiment Presentation Side Drum, 1960
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, 4th/5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion The Royal Sussex Regiment Presentation Side Drum, 1960

4th/5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion The Royal Sussex Regiment Presentation Side Drum, 1960

Regular price
£1,250
Sale price
£1,250
Regular price
Sold out
Unit price
per 
Tax included.

 Measurements: 38cm (15in) x 40cm (15.75in) 

With painted ash hoops, rope tension system, brass cylinder, and hand painted with the badge of the Cinque Ports, the Garter Star and the White Roussillon Plume taken by the regiment at . Battle Honours to the end of the Second  World War - the cylinder bearing the maker’s label of Henry Potter & Co., of Aldershot.

The 4th/5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment was the result of a merger between the 4th and 5th Territorial battalions in 1943. Both battalions were created in 1908 as part of the new Territorial force. In West Sussex the old 2nd Volunteer Battalion became the 4th Battalion, and in East Sussex the 1st Cinque Ports Rifle Volunteer Corps, which had its origins in the volunteer forces raised during the Napoleonic Wars, became the 5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion. The 5th Battalion suffered heavy losses in France in 1940 at Wortegem while forming part of the defence line on the Scheldt river before the retreat to Dunkirk. Thereafter the battalion supplied many volunteers for the 10th Parachute Battalion which fought with distinction in successive airborne operations. In 1943 the merged 4th/5th Battalion went to the Middle East to join the 6th Indian Infantry Division. 

Read more 

The firm of Henry Potter of Charing Cross, London was established as an independent concern in 1872. Hitherto Henry’s father, Henry senior, had run a drum making business at 30 Charing Cross since 1856. Prior to that, Henry senior ran his business from 2 Bridge Street, Westminster, having inherited an interest in drum making from his father Samuel, late drum-major Coldstream Guards, who left the Army in 1817. Other members of the extended Potter family were also engaged in the drum and flute making business for many generations. A notable contemporary being Henry senior’s brother George Potter of Aldershot whose firm continued the craft in the traditional manner until the introduction of rod tensioned and transfer decorated drums in 1960.