Warwickshire Regiment of Fencible Cavalry - Guidon fragments, 1794
Warwickshire Regiment of Fencible Cavalry - Guidon fragments, 1794
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, Warwickshire Regiment of Fencible Cavalry - Guidon fragments, 1794
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, Warwickshire Regiment of Fencible Cavalry - Guidon fragments, 1794

Warwickshire Regiment of Fencible Cavalry - Guidon fragments, 1794

Regular price
£575
Sale price
£575
Regular price
Sold out
Unit price
per 
Tax included.

Provenance: The Earls of Warwick, Warwick Castle

Fragments of an 18th century painted silk squadron guidon of Warwickshire Fencible Cavalry in decorated with a cartouche containing the White Horse of Hanover; the King’s crown of George III; a rose and thistle, emblematic of the Union,. tied by a partial motto scroll ‘Dieu / Et Mon ...’ and a final cartouche inscribed ‘Warwick / Shire / F.C.’ for Warwickshire Fencible Cavalry. Framed and glazed.

Show more

Following the outbreak of war with Revolutionary France a public meeting was held at Warwick on the 23rd  April 1794 ‘To adopt means for helping the internal Defence of the United Kingdom and for the protection of the Peace and Security of the Country’. As a result the Warwickshire Regiment of Fencible Light Dragoons was raised by public subscription, under the command of George Greville, 2nd Earl of Warwick, and ‘all mounted on fine hunters superior to most Regiments of Light Dragoons.’ In 1797 the Fencibles were reorganized as the Warwickshire Yeomanry and new guidons were issued. At that time the present guidon was laid up in Warwick Castle.