A George V 1st Battalion The Norfolk Regiment, 1920
Adding product to your cart
Height: 40cm (16in)
Diameter: 36cm (14in)
With painted ash hoops, rope tension system, drag rope, and brass cylinder emblazoned with the Royal arms over Britannia with Union shield, trident, and Roman numeral ‘IX’, Battle Honours to the end of the First World War. The Edwardian cylinder stamped with the Broad Arrow and maker’s name ‘Henry Potter & Co. / Charing Cross / London / 1901’. The George V emblazon signed ‘Henry Potter & Co., of 36-8 West St., Charing X Road, London.’
The firm of Henry Potter of Charing Cross was established as an independent concern in 1872. Hitherto Henry’s father, also Henry, had run a drum making business at 30 Charing Cross since 1856. Prior to that, Henry senior ran his business from 2 Bridge Street, Westminster, having inherited an interest in drums from his father Samuel, formerly a drum-major in the Coldstream Guards who left the Army in 1817. Other members of the extended Potter family were also engaged in the drum and flute making business for many generations. A notable contemporary being Henry senior’s brother George of Aldershot whose firm continued the craft in the traditional manner until the introduction of rod tensioned and transfer decorated drums in 1960.