Arts and Crafts Movement Cigarette Box, 1885
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Regular price
- Unit price
Adding product to your cart
6.5cm (2.5in) x 16.4cm (6.4in) x 9cm (3.5in)
Silver and copper. The hinged lid engraved applied with an Earl's coronet and interlocking ‘C’ monogram possibly for George Henry Cadogan, 5th Earl Cadogan (1840-1915). Maker’s mark of Alfred Fuller. Hallmarked London 1885.
George Henry Cadogan, 5th Earl Cadogan (1840-1915), styled Viscount Chelsea from 1864 to 1873, was a grandson of the the 1st Duke of Wellington and was educated at Eton College and Christ Church, Oxford. He was responsible for extensive development the Cadogan estate in Chelsea where his coroneted double C cypher can be seen to this day. He entered Parliament as the member for Bath in a by-election in 1873, just before succeeding his father and progressing to his seat in the House of Lords. He was made Under-Secretary for War in 1875 and Under-Secretary to the Colonies in 1878 by Disraeli. He was installed as Knight of the Garter in 1892 when serving under Lord Salisbury as Lord Privy Seal from 1886 to 1892 (after 1887 in the Cabinet), and again in the cabinet as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 1895 to 1902. As Lord of the Manor of Chelsea he was an early provider of housing for the working class. In 1888 he commissioned the building of Holy Trinity Sloane Street and funded its decoration by leading sculptors and designers of the day including Onslow Ford, Edward Burne-Jones, and William Morris. He was first Mayor of Chelsea in 1900.