Scots Fusilier Guards - The Tyltyard Guard, 1845
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Regular price
- Unit price
Adding product to your cart
Overall: 38cm (15in) x 29cm (11.4in )
Provenance: Major-General Sir John Swinton of Kimmerghame
Oil on canvas. A Scots Fusilier Guardsman in full marching order, summer dress, relieving the sentry at the Cadiz Memorial on Horse Guards Parade, with chevaux de frise fencing surrounding it visible to the left. Inscribed verso ‘Tylt Yard Guard / circa 1845’. Circle of Henry Martens (fl.1830-68). Canvas : 30.5cm (12in) x 20.2cm (8in).
The Tylt Guard was one of ten separate guards permanently manned by the Foot Guards in Central London for most of the 19th century, in addition to night guards at the Bank of England and the Tower of London. The Tylt Guard provided sentries for twenty posts. The Guard Room was in the south wing of the Horse Guards building opposite to the present day Queen’s Life Guard Guard Room. The posts were spread all around the Whitehall and included such locations as ‘The First Regiment Orderly Room in Scotland Yard’, ‘at the corner of Lady Suffolk’s’, ‘In Downing Street’, and ‘at the bomb taken at Cadiz’ (this being the Cadiz Memorial - a giant siege mortar presented by the Spanish Regency after Wellington’s victory over the French at Salamanca in 1812). The Foot Guards continued to fulfil these commitment until 1898.
Major-General Sir John Swinton of Kimmerghame, K.C.V.O., O.B.E., D.L., (1925-2018) was commissioned into the Scots Guards in 1944 and was Major-General commanding the Household Division and General Officer Commanding London District from 1976 until his retirement in 1979. He is the father of actress Tilda Swinton.