H.M. Yacht Osborne - An Armorial Rummer, 1880
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Regular price
- Unit price
Adding product to your cart
Height: 14cm (5.5in)
Glass rummer with facet-cut bowl engraved with the Prince of Wales feathers over a fouled anchor and encircled by a garter inscribed 'Royal Yacht Osborne’.
The Royal Yacht Osborne was a paddle steamer launched in 1870 for the personal use of Albert Edward Prince of Wales. She measured 1,850 tons, and was used for cruises to foreign countries, such as the visit of the Princess of Wales to her native Denmark for the royal wedding of her niece Princess Ingeborg in 1897. When based in the Solent, H.M.Y. Osborne was frequently employed on the short run to Osborne House on the Isle of Wight.
The Prince of Wales’s interest in yachting and appointment as Commodore of the Royal Yacht Squadron in 1882 ensured that Osborne was a focal point of the annual Cowes Week regatta. In 1894 one of the Prince of Wales guests described dinner aboard the Royal Yacht during Cowes Week in the following terms: ‘Some twenty guests were present and a beautiful sight was presented when we were all seated at table. Lovely fruits and flowers graced the board. Beautiful ladies and famous men in the highest spirits surrounded it. The glass sides to the saloon were withdrawn, and we sat at dinner in the midst of a fairy scene. Already some of the yachts had begun their illuminations. The town of Cowes and the quay were gay with coloured lights. Beautiful music was being discoursed from the upper deck.’ – The London Weekly, August 1894.