No. 422 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force Original Badge Design, 1943
No. 422 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force Original Badge Design, 1943
No. 422 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force Original Badge Design, 1943
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, No. 422 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force Original Badge Design, 1943
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, No. 422 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force Original Badge Design, 1943
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, No. 422 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force Original Badge Design, 1943

No. 422 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force Original Badge Design, 1943

Regular price
£575
Sale price
£575
Regular price
Sold out
Unit price
per 
Tax included.

Overall: 38cm (15in) x 28cm (11in)

Watercolour and ink on paper. The original Second World War insignia designed for No. 422 Squadron, autographed signed lower right by the Inspector of RAF Badges, the Chester Herald J. Heaton-Armstrong, and countersigned by King George VI in brown ink upper left, ‘Approved / George R.I.’ , in accordance with badge approval protocols introduced in 1937. The glazed giltwood frame bearing a presentation plaque, circa 1970, inscribed ‘Presented to 16 Sqn / RAF by 422 (F) Sqn RCAF’.

Read more 

No. 422 Squadron, RCAF was formed in 1942 in Northern Ireland for service with Coastal Command. It operated Short Sunderland IIIs over the Western Approaches, sinking U-625 in 1944, and briefly used the Catalina to fly supplies to the Soviet Union. The squadron converted to Liberators and was transferred to Transport Command, to operate on the supply route to the Far East. The squadron was disbanded in September 1945 after the Japanese surrender. 442 was reformed in Canada in 1953 as 422 Fighter Squadron and took its place in the line in West Germany during the Cold War. With the amalgamation of the RCAF and other Canadian services in 1968, it continued as part of the Canadian Armed Forces until deactivated in July 1970. It was probably at this time that the present insignia was presented to 16 Squadron RAF who were then based at Laarbruch and equipped with the Canberras armed with dual-key nuclear weapons. An impressive collection of other original RAF Squadron Badges can be found in the first floor corridor of the RAF Club in Piccadilly.