Scots Guards - Colonel’s Colour, 1961
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Regular price
- Unit price
Adding product to your cart
Overall: 31cm (12.2in) x 27.5cm (10.9in)
Watercolour on paper. Original artwork published on the front cover of ‘Scots Guards Magazine 1961’, as an illustration of the Personal Colour of His late Royal Highness The Duke of Gloucester, K.G., K.T., 25th Colonel of the Scots Guards, 1937-1974, bearing the collar of the Order of the Thistle with pendant St Andrew rayed badge, encircling the duke’s crest of a lion statant guardant, differenced with a label argent of three points, the centre bearing a lion rampant gules, and the outer points crosses gules, on a coronet of a prince of the blood. Contained in period inscribed mount. Image: 23cm (9in) x 19cm (7.4in). Framed and glazed.
Field Marshal Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester (1900-1974) was the third son of King George V and Queen Mary, and thus was uncle to Elizabeth II. He was born at York Cottage, on the Sandringham estate. His godparents included Queen Victoria, the Kaiser and Lord Roberts. He was educated at Eton and Sandhurst and was commissioned into the King's Royal Rifle Corps, and served afterwards with the 10th Royal Hussars. In 1921 he was installed as a Knight of the Garter. In 1928, his father created him Duke of Gloucester, Earl of Ulster, and Baron Culloden. On 2 November 1930 he attended the coronation of Haile Selassie of Ethiopia in Addis Ababa. He was appointed Colonel of the Scots Guards in 1937. During the Second World War he served as a Chief Liaison Officer; between 1945-47 he was Governor-General of Australia. He was appointed a Field Marshal in 1955 and a Marshal of the Royal Air Force in 1958. On 6 November 1935, Henry married Lady Alice Christabel Montagu-Douglas-Scott, a daughter of the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensbury.