{"product_id":"scots-guards-scots-fusiliers-guards-side-drum-1860","title":"Scots Guards - Scots Fusiliers Guards Side Drum, 1860","description":"\u003cp\u003e\u003cbr\u003e\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003e40cm (13in) x 47cm (13.5in)\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003eWith painted ash hoops, rope tension system, brass cylinder with restored hand painted regimental emblazon featuring the Queen Victoria cypher, Royal arms, Sphinx and Battle Honours ‘Namur 1695’ to ‘Sevastopol’ (1855). The cylinder bearing the stamp ‘Potter \/ Charing Cross \/ London’.\u003cspan class=\"Apple-converted-space\"\u003e \u003c\/span\u003e\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003eThe Scots Fusilier Guards, as the Third Foot Guards were were titled by William IV in 1830 until 1877 when Queen Victoria changed the title again to the more familiar Scots Guards, served with great distinction in the Crimea, notably at the chaotic Battle of the Alma winning four Victoria Crosses. In the fog shrouded Battle of Inkermann, the 1st Scots Fusilier Guards again experienced vicious hand to hand fighting with superior numbers of the Russian enemy. They subsequently endured the hardships of winter, so graphically illustrated to Victorians at home through the new medium of photography by Roger Fenton.\u003cspan class=\"Apple-converted-space\"\u003e  \u003c\/span\u003eThey also served their part in in the long and arduous Siege of Sebastopol which lasted from September 1854 to September the following year, when it was finally taken by allied assault. The Crimean War formally ended in 1856 with the treaty of Paris, whence the Scots Fusilier Guards returned home.\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003ch6\u003eRead more\u003c\/h6\u003e\n\u003cp\u003e~section 2~\u003c\/p\u003e\n\u003cp\u003eThe drum maker Henry Potter of West Street, Charing Cross, London was founded by Drum Major Samuel Potter (1772-1838) Coldstream Guards. He founded the Potter dynasty of musical instrument makers in 1810 by setting up Henry Potter \u0026amp; Co., in the name of his new born son, Henry Samuel Potter (1810-1876), as military regulations disallowed his direct involvement in a commercial venture. Drum Major Potter compiled and published in 1815 the authorised ‘Bugle, Drum and Fife Calls’, including the ‘Last Post’ which in revised form is still in use today. In 1817 he was recorded as ‘infirm’ and was admitted as a pensioner at the Royal Hospital Chelsea. He worked in the business at 20 King Street, Westminster, after leaving the Army. Henry Samuel carried on the business at 37 Marsham Street, and later at 2 Bridge Street, before moving to 30 Charing Cross in 1858. Henry Samuel was succeeded in the business by his sons, also Henry (1840-1935), George (1846-1927) and William (1850-1929).\u003c\/p\u003e","brand":"Armoury St James","offers":[{"title":"Default Title","offer_id":57507543548277,"sku":null,"price":1250.0,"currency_code":"GBP","in_stock":true}],"thumbnail_url":"\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0511\/7008\/3014\/files\/L1710227.jpg?v=1787039838","url":"https:\/\/armoury.co.uk\/products\/scots-guards-scots-fusiliers-guards-side-drum-1860","provider":"The Armoury St James's","version":"1.0","type":"link"}