3rd Bn Royal Anglian Regiment Tenor Drum, 1910 & 1964
3rd Bn Royal Anglian Regiment Tenor Drum, 1910 & 1964
3rd Bn Royal Anglian Regiment Tenor Drum, 1910 & 1964
3rd Bn Royal Anglian Regiment Tenor Drum, 1910 & 1964
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, 3rd Bn Royal Anglian Regiment Tenor Drum, 1910 & 1964
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, 3rd Bn Royal Anglian Regiment Tenor Drum, 1910 & 1964
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, 3rd Bn Royal Anglian Regiment Tenor Drum, 1910 & 1964
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, 3rd Bn Royal Anglian Regiment Tenor Drum, 1910 & 1964

3rd Bn Royal Anglian Regiment Tenor Drum, 1910 & 1964

Regular price
£950
Sale price
£950
Regular price
Sold out
Unit price
per 
Tax included.

Diameter: 56cm (22in)

Provenance: Bandmaster (WO1) Frank Cockcroft, Royal Anglian Regiment

Wood cylinder by military musical instrument makers Hawkes & Son of Piccadilly, painted hoops, leather tabs with rope tensioning. Emblazoned by George Potter & Company of Aldershot with the eight pointed rayed star overlaid with castle of Gibraltar for the 3rd Royal Anglian (Army Reserve) on formation in 1964. The interior pasted with Potter’s ‘Drum Fittings’ label, ink dated 1910, visible through the cylinder breather hole. Upper hoop applied with presentation plaque inscribed ‘Presented B/M F. Cockroft on his retirement.’ Converted circa 1968 for use as side table.

Read more

George Potter & Co, of Aldershot was an off shoot of the London based military drum and instrument maker Henry Potter of Charing Cross that was established by Samuel Potter (1772-1836) in 1810. Samuel, a drum-major in the Coldstream Guards, named his business for his new born son Henry and worked in the business at 20 King Street, Westminster, after leaving the Army on 1817. Henry (1810-1876) carried on his father’s business at 37 Marsham Street, and later a 2 Bridge Street, before moving to 30 Charing Cross in 1858. In 1868 Henry’s brother George established George Potter & Co., at Bank Street, Aldershot. In 1918 George Potter of Aldershot opened the well know shop at the intersection of Aldershot’s Queen’s Road and Grosvenor Road, aka Potter’s Corner, which continued drum making in the traditional manner until the introduction of rod tensioned and transfer decorated drums in the 1960s.