A George V Company Colour of No. 6 Company 1st Battalion Welsh Guards, 1915
Adding product to your cart
Overall: 51cm (20in) x 100cm (39in)
Provenance: Major W.D. Gibson, Landwade Hall, Exning, Suffolk
Silk embroidered with a company badge. Framed and glazed. Flag length: 90cm (35.5in).
The arms occupying the hoist of the present flag, taking the form of a heraldic standard, are ‘Paly of eight pieces argent and gules a Lion rampant sable. Arms of the Princes of Powis Fadog’. They, together with the motto ‘Nac ofna one gwarth’ (Fear nothing but disgrace) were part of the original group of eight granted to the Welsh Guards by King George V when raised in 1915.. The arms of the Prince of Wales’s Company through to No. 6 companies are allotted to the 1st Battalion. Framed and glazed. See: Dawnay, N.P. (1975) ‘The Standards, Guidons and Colours of The Household Division, 1660-1973’, Midas.
Major William David Gibson (1925-1998) served with the Welsh Guards during the Second World War and afterwards joined the family shipping business founded by his uncle Lord Glanley. Major Gibson was a four times winner of the Grand Military Gold Cup, and faller at the last in the 1957 Grand National.