5th (Princess Charlotte of Wales’s) Dragoon Guards Presentation Cup, 1808
Adding product to your cart
Height: 21.5cm (8.5in)
Silver. George III two-handled cup with part-fluting & a frieze of fruiting vines below the rim, inscribed ‘Presented by the Non Commissioned Officers of the 5th (or Princess Charlotte of Wales's) Dragoon Guards to Lieut. Houghton (Late Adjt) as an emblem of their esteem to whom they always looked as to a Protector, Father & Friend’, the other side engraved with the badge of the 5th Dragoon Guards, by James Ede & Alexander Hewat, London 1808.
Captain Edward Houghton (c. 1780-1840), 5th (Princess Charlotte of Wales’s) Dragoon Guards, served with the Dumfriesshire Fencible Cavalry and was appointed Cornet and Adjutant of the 5th D.G. in November 1801. He became Lieutenant on 10 July 1805, and was promoted Captain on 22 April 1813. He served in the Peninsula from April 1814 and was present at the Battle of Toulouse. A memorial to him is in St Selskar’s Abbey, Wexford, County Wicklow.
Challis, Lionel S., Peninsula Roll Call
Wellington's Men Remembered: A Register of Memorials, Vol.2