British Raj - A Viceregal Presentation Silver Photograph Frame, 1900
British Raj - A Viceregal Presentation Silver Photograph Frame, 1900
British Raj - A Viceregal Presentation Silver Photograph Frame, 1900
British Raj - A Viceregal Presentation Silver Photograph Frame, 1900
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, British Raj - A Viceregal Presentation Silver Photograph Frame, 1900
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, British Raj - A Viceregal Presentation Silver Photograph Frame, 1900
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, British Raj - A Viceregal Presentation Silver Photograph Frame, 1900
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, British Raj - A Viceregal Presentation Silver Photograph Frame, 1900

British Raj - A Viceregal Presentation Silver Photograph Frame, 1900

Regular price
$2,841.00
Sale price
$2,841.00
Regular price
Sold out
Unit price
per 
Tax included.

Height: 34cm (13.4in)

Silver. Of plain design within banded reed border, the arched top applied with an interlinked ‘C’ cypher in navy blue enamel beneath a baron’s coronet.  Hallmarked with Hamilton & Co’s elephant mark and stamped Silver. Maker’s name of ‘Hamilton & Co / Calcutta to right side of frame. The pale blue interior silk marked ‘Hamilton & Co. Ltd / Jewellers and Silversmiths, Calcutta, Delhi /& Simla’. Hardwood easel backed with silver hinges and catches. Glazed.

A viceregal presentation frame for a portrait of George Nathaniel Curzon who was created Baron Curzon of Kedleston in 1898 on his appointment as Viceroy of India (1898-1903), and was later elevated to become 1st Earl Curzon of Kedleston in 1911 and 1st Marquess Curzon of Kedleston in 1921.

The Royal Warrant holders Hamilton & Co. were India’s premier jewellers and silversmiths under the Raj. The firm was founded by Robert Hamilton (1772-1848) who opened a shop at 5 Tank Square, Calcutta in 1808 under licence of the East India Company. In 1811 the business moved to 7 Court House Street, where it remained until its closure in 1973. The firm supplied official jewellery to the princely states, presentation pieces for the Government of India, and competed for government and state contracts. Branches were established at Bombay from 1868 and Delhi and Simla in 1865.