A George V 1st Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment, 1920
Adding product to your cart
40cm (16in) x 36cm (14in)
With painted ash hoops, rope tension system, drag ropes, and aluminium cylinder emblazoned with the Royal arms over the Maltese cross centred on the Garter and St. George’s cross superimposed on the the Roussillon plume, and Battle Honours to the end of the First World War - the hot weather foreign service aluminium cylinder stamped with the Royal arms ‘George Potter / Makers / Aldershot’. The emblazon vertically signed ‘Heraldry by Henry Potter & Co., of 36/38 West St., Charing X Road, London.’
The firm of Henry Potter of Charing Cross was established as an independent concern in 1872. Hitherto Henry’s father, also Henry, had run a drum making business at 30 Charing Cross since 1856. Prior to that, Henry senior ran his business from 2 Bridge Street, Westminster, having inherited an interest in drums from his father Samuel, formerly a drum-major in the Coldstream Guards who left the Army in 1817. Other members of the extended Potter family were also engaged in the drum and flute making business for many generations. A notable contemporary being Henry senior’s brother George of Aldershot whose firm continued the craft in the traditional manner until the introduction of rod tensioned and transfer decorated drums in 1960.