Black Watch (Royal Highland) Regiment - 1st Battalion Presentation Side Drum Table, 1965
- Regular price
- £1,400
- Sale price
- £1,400
- Regular price
-
- Unit price
- /per
Adding product to your cart
Overall: 48cm (19in) x 38cm (15in)
Presentation side drum converted for use as a side table with painted ash hoops, rope tension system, and brass cylinder, emblazoned with the royal arms of Scotland, Sphinx badge, Thistle and EWIIR cypher with the Garter; Battle Honours from ‘Guadaloupe 1759’ to ‘Korea 1953’. Heraldry signed by ‘George Potter & Co, Potter’s Corner, Aldershot'. The brass cylinder stamped with the Broad Arrow and ‘A.O. Windsor / Maker / Birmingham’.
George Potter (1846-1927) was the younger son of the military musical instrument maker Henry Samuel Potter (1810-76) of West Street, Charing Cross, London. In 1868 he established George Potter & Co at Bank Street, Aldershot, as an independent drum and instrument maker. He later bought the Charing Cross business and continued it under the Henry Potter name. During Potters’ heyday in the 1920s and 30s the firm’s catalogues further offered silver ceremonial drums, drum-major’s maces, regimental plaques, drum tables and other associated items. George’s son George James Ravenscroft Potter (1881-1968) served the First World War and afterwards opened the well known shop at the intersection of Aldershot’s Queen’s Road and Grosvenor Road, aka ‘Potter’s Corner’ in 1918. His firm continued the hand emblazoning of band drums in the traditional manner until the introduction of rod tensioned and transfer decorated drums in the 1960s, and as presentation pieces until the 1990s.


